Monday, July 6, 2009

In Memoriam: T. Scott Cunningham

One of my dear friends from high school passed away recently. I remember him most from my high school band days. He was one of the snare drummers and was always well respected.

T. Scott Cunningham was a year older than me and I have very fond memories of him. Not only was he a very successful percussionist in the band, he was also an extremely talented actor. He was always one of the shining lights in the Shelbyville Central High School productions. The one that stands out in my mind was "The King and I." I always knew that he would go on to be a great success, and he did.

I was looking through some of my high school memorabilia and found this fun photo of some of the band members after we won the MCI contest in 1980. Scott is at the bottom, 2nd from the left. What a celebration this was! The percussion section also won best in the competition...



Scott had many roles on the big screen and on television, but his passion was the theater. I wanted to create a very special sympathy card for his family and felt compelled to use one of the new digital stamps from Hambo Stamps. While their images are all humorous, I felt this one could be used in another way that would allow me to share my sympathy with the family, but also pay tribute to Scott and all that he left with us during his time here on earth.


Scott, may your spirit live on through all of the lives you touched.

Copic Colors Used:
Stage Floor: E31, E33
Stage Front: E31, E33, E35, E37
Curtain (gray): C1, C2, C3, C5, C7
Curtain (brown): E13, E15, E17, E19

4 comments:

Judy Rozema said...

Melissa, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. You certainly paid a lovely tribute to him - how awesome that picture is!

And what a magnificent card and a perfect choice of image!! As I am heavily involved in music and theatre, I especially love what you did with the stage.

Monica Hunter said...

I'm so sorry you've lost your friend, Melissa, but what a beautiful and fitting tribute you've paid him. I'm sure the family will treasure this!

As always, your coloring just blows me away! The wood floor looks real. Again, a beautiful tribute card!!

Debby2206 said...

Melissa,
I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend. The card is beautiful. You always are creative in the ways you use your great talent.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa- I'm Joe Melvin's daughter and have admired your work for several years. I love everything you have sent him! I correspond with an elderly woman in a nursing home in MA and would love to have some of your cards to send her. Can I buy some from you?? He said you don't sell them but I would love to buy 5-10 of them from you! Just let me know when you have time. I know you are busy with EMF right now.

Marilynn Moore
mellym1975@yahoo.com